The Musée des Arts et Métiers Established in 1794, under the More »
Science Centre NEMO NEMO is the largest science centre in the Netherlands; an educational attraction More »
The National Museum of Science and Technology “Leonardo da Vinci” The National Museum of Science More »
What is ENGINEER?
ENGINEER means BrEaking New Ground IN the SciencE Education Realm
ENGINEER will support the widespread adoption in Europe of innovative methods of science teaching and provide extensive teacher training on inquiry-based methods.
It will be based on the proven ―Engineering is Elementary (EiE) program developed by Boston‘s Museum of Science (BMOS) since 2003-04 and now widely used in primary schools throughout the U.S. Evaluations of EiE have found that incorporating engineering in science teaching, using inquiry-based pedagogic methods, results in highly desirable impacts on students and teachers, raising students‘ interest in science and engineering.
ENGINEER will develop 10 engineering design challenge units suited to European environments using EiE‘s Engineering Design Plan model. Each unit will focus on one engineering field and will use inexpensive materials for student-led design problem-solving.
Science museums will lead the outreach effort that targets schools, teachers and science museums. Teachers trained in using ENGINEER‘s materials will incorporate the units into science teaching in their classes. Museums will offer programs for student groups as well as for the general public.
ENGINEER‘s consortium features 10 science museums and 10 schools, as well as universities and other organizations that will contribute expertise to project tasks.
- Become a designer for mechanical machines
- Design your own small vacuum cleaner
- Make a soundtrack for a silent movie with your own designed sound box
- Design an instrument for measuring the air volume in your lungs.
- Transport of water
- High Flyers – building a model glider
- Design your own floating platform
- Engineering on insulation – Designing insulating shoe soles
- Let’s find an house for the frogs. Let’s dig a pond
- Forces at work – Building a hanging sculpture
You can download the the press kit here : Press release_Engineer